- IMD workshop, Pune was established way back in 1920 with the objective of inspection and maintenance of surface meteorological instruments procured from outside and installed at IMD observatories
- Since 1947 IMD, Pune Workshop was fully equipped with several shop floors, ranging from foundry to packing units for manufacturing of all types of surface meteorological instruments
- Users of meteorological instruments are IMD, State Government authorities, Defence organizations (such as Air-Force & Navy), Agricultural institutes, Educational Institutes etc.
- The manufacturing, repairs and maintenance works are managed at present by, officers, a few non-industrial staff and by the skilled industrial staff to cater services for surface observatories established all over the country.
- In 2010 the workshop unit was awarded with ISO 9001:2008 certifications for our activities such as Manufacture, Testing, Calibration and Supply of Meteorological Instruments.
- Recertification audit of ISO 9001:2008 was conducted by Australian company on 25th July 2014. The recertification is now valid till 2017.